Trip Pictures

Starting out

Crossing the Rio


Weminuche Wilderness

San Juans

Black Lake

Ute Creek

Ute Creek

Ute Creek

Ute Creek

Creek crossing

Middle Ute

East Ute

Gearing up for rain

Continental Divide

East Ute

East Ute

East Ute







San Juans









Rincon La Osa

Rincon La Osa

Rincon La Osa

Rincon La Osa

Rincon La Osa




Rincon La Osa

Rincon La Osa

Rincon La Osa


Rincon La Osa


Pinos River valley








San Juans


Being silly

Natural Bridges

Leprechaun Canyons


        Trip Pictures Pelican Valley-Yellowstone Gunsight Pass Canada 2013 Atlantic Canyon North Winds Yellowstone May 2013 Yellowstone Jan 2013 Brooks Lake Weminuche Beartooths 2012 Cirque of the Towers Union Pass New Zealand Yellowstone Winter 2012 Tennessee Fall 2011 Parents Selway-Bitterroots Grand Canyon Yellowstone 2011 Carlsbad California Tetons Frank Church Absarokas Beartooths Absarokas Montana Glacier Boise Zion - Grand Canyon Yellowstone Tennessee Redwoods Tetons Jebediah Smith Wilderness Winds Shoshone Geyser Basin Beartooths France Yellowstone North Winds Georgia and North Carolina Tennessee Yellowstone Tetons Beartooths Yellowstone Tennessee Colorado Yellowstone Dallas Hawaii Tennessee Yellowstone Tetons North Dakota Wind River Range Beartooth Hwy Tennessee Yellowstone Death Valley Lake Powell Yellowstone Washington Yellowstone Lake Powell Yellowstone Ohio Sonoran Desert Grand Canyon/Zion South-eastern Utah Craters of the Moon/Tetons Bryce/Lake Powell Alaska Iraq Iraq Boundary Waters Middle East Okefenokee Middle East Louisiana Utah Wyoming Arches/Canyonlands Tetons/Yellowstone Maine Glacier NP France Washington D.C. Miscellaneous

From 30 Aug 12 to 3 Sep 12, Chris, Paul, and I took a four day backpacking trip in the

Weminuche Wilderness in Colorado.  We originally planned to do five days on the trail, but, as

many longer trips usually go, the plan was modified as we went.  I picked Chris up at the

airport on Thursday afternoon, and we drove to Grand Junction.  We got up on Friday morning

and drove to the trailhead at Squaw Creek where we met Paul.  We were a little late due to

trying to figure out why in the world there are so many Texans in the Lake City, CO, area, but

this is a phenomenon I have noticed before, and I still don't have a good explanation.  But we

picked up Paul and drove on to the Ute Creek Trail (Google Map).  The plan was to start here

on Friday and end at the Squaw Creek Trailhead on Tuesday.  We hit the trail around 1 pm,

and immediately crossed the Rio Grande.  Even though we weren't far below the Rio Grande's

headwaters, it was still big enough to require a wade...and because we were near its

headwaters, it was cold.  When Chris got to the opposite bank, he made his first joke of the trip

when he said, "I'm here, where's my job?"

The rest of the day was mostly just forested through a canyon of Ute Creek.  I had expected

an open meadow like Squaw Creek, but it was more of a canyon.  There was one significant

climb just before getting to Black Lake at about 10,800 feet, but the hiking wasn't too bad.  We

only saw one group of bow hunters all day, and we decided to camp at Black Lake.

The next morning we dropped down to the confluence of East, Middle, and West Ute Creeks,

and the creek opened up into a really pretty meadow.  Once at the confluence of Middle and

East Ute Creeks, we had a decision to make.  The plan was to head up Middle Ute and hit the

Continental Divide Trail, hoping to camp around Ute Lake for the night.  However, we were

getting a little worried about our pace, and the Middle Ute route was something like 9 miles

further to get to the same place as the East Ute route.  After some debate, we decided to take

the East Ute route, so we headed up that way.  There was another short climb, and then East

Ute opened up into really nice meadows below the Continental Divide.  We saw a lot of bear

scat along this section of the trail, and we had seen a lot of bear tree scratchings on Ute

Creek, but we never saw any bears.  At the end of East Ute, we made the climb up to the

Divide at about 12,000 feet.  The view from up top was nice, especially down into the Rincon

La Osa valley on the opposite side of the Divide.

The plan from here was to turn south (left) onto the CDT and hike it all the way to Squaw

Creek.  Looking at the map, though, we realized that we had really only done about half of the

day's climb, and there was still a good ascent coming up.  I also realized, for the first time,

somehow, that the CDT was going to drop nearly 2000 feet down to the Pinos River the next

day, and then we would have to regain all of that 2000 feet back onto the Divide to continue on

to Squaw Creek.  That seemed silly.  And as I was looking down into the pretty valley of Rincon

La Osa, and then back at the map, I came up with a new plan: head down to Rincon La Osa to

Pinos River, then Pinos River to the Weminuche Trail, and take the Weminuche out to the

Squaw Creek Trailhead.  Awww...that omitted every single one of the upcoming ascents.  Chris

and Paul liked the idea, too.  So we dropped our packs and spent an hour or so hiking around

on the Divide, and then we headed down to La Osa.  We found an early campsite above the

valley that was really pretty, and settled in for the evening.

We got some rain overnight, and spent some time in the morning drying out our gear.  We

then headed down to Rincon La Osa.  The valley at the bottom was absolutely beautiful.  We

spent an hour or so just sitting in the grass enjoying the valley.  We had heard coyotes the

night before, and we saw one down in the valley.  Eventually the valley closed in, and there

was a lot of granite that just seemed more like it should have been in Wyoming than in

Colorado.  We eventually reached a very steep descent down to Pinos River.  The descent

was really long, and fairly steep in would not be a fun ascent to make.  Once we

reached Pinos, we were greeted by a nasty hail storm.  We took cover in the trees and

continued on once it passed.  We were now on a trail that connected directly to a trailhead,

and it was the weekend (and the Labor Day weekend), and while we had not seen more than

one group per day up to this time, we started to see a few people.  We only saw three groups,

but I knew it was portending what was to come.  After a short climb, we eventually found a

campsite above the river.  The forest around our camp was very wet and seemed

more like something from the Olympics than the San Juans.  We even thought it rained some

overnight, but I think it was dew falling.

The next day, Monday, was the last day of the trip.  We continued to the Weminuche Trail,

which intersected where we had originally planned to come off the Divide, and were glad that

we weren't climbing the 2000 feet back up onto the Divide.  We also saw quite a few more

people, including hunters ferrying in gear.  We even saw one guy who had already made three

trips of over 7 miles each way with gear for his week long hunting trip.  There was also a guy

doing about 8 miles in wearing cowboy boots.  I just don't get it.  We eventually got to the

descent down to the Rio Grande.  This was another long descent that I would not want to

make as an ascent.  We saw several dayhikers who were doing the ascent, which surprised

me, because the ascent would have been long, tough, and completely without views until the

valley at the top.

But we made it down and back to Paul's car.  After getting back to my truck, Paul headed back

to Pueblo, and Chris and I headed towards Durango, and spent Tuesday driving the long way

through southern Utah to get back to Salt Lake.

This was a great trip with two wonderful hiking partners.  We cut the trip a day short, and

probably hiked about 15-20 miles less than originally planned, but we had a relaxing trip and

still got to see a lot of great places that none of us had ever been to.  We also saw almost

nobody for three days of the trip on a Labor Day's hard to beat that.  Looking out

toward Chicago Basin from the Divide, we knew it was likely a madhouse down in there around

the 14ers.

I took about 9 pounds of food for 5 days.  It felt like a crazy amount of food, but ultimately, I

think I'm getting closer to getting the food amount right.  Of course, I had quite a bit left over,

but that was mostly because of leaving a day earlier than planned.I think I'm going to try taking

one dinner less than I need, and spend the last night just eating leftover snacks.  Maybe I'll

take half a dinner for the last night.  I'll also had a Steripen failure one night.  I still don't know

why.  It just stopped working, and changing the batteries didn't help.  The next morning it still

didn't work, but later that evening it started working again.  Go figure.  It's worked since then.

Again, this was a great trip, and I look forward to more trips with Chris and Paul.